Our educational programme and events
We conduct an educational programme, through the UKLFI Charitable Trust, to promote a better understanding of the use of legal tools to combat BDS and the de-legitimisation of Israel.
- We circulate a monthly bulletin, providing information about the work of UKLFI
- We used the centenary of the Balfour Declaration to promote the legitimacy of the State of Israel and its rights in relation to Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria. We organised:
- a major legal conference in London, attended by over 160 people,
- sessions at another conference on the legal effects of the Balfour Declaration and League of Nations Mandate,
- the screening of the documentary film, “Whose Land?”, about the legal basis of the founding of Israel
- We participated in a conference on Israel’s rights in The Hague, which led to the preparation of a statement of the participating jurists on the status of Jerusalem and territories captured by Israel in 1967
- Our directors gave several talks on how the law can be used to combat BDS and other efforts to undermine Israel
- We organised seminars on anti-semitism addressed by leading expert Dr Anthony Julius and on Israel’s security challenges by Amb. Arthur Koll.
- We devised, organised and delivered a series of interactive seminars in 2016 for active supporters of Israel on key legal issues in conjunction with We Believe in Israel. These covered: universities, student unions, professional associations and other charities; defamation, regulation of the media and misleading advertising; protests, public order, hate crime, terrorist offences and complaining to the police; international law relevant to Israel; and freedom of information legislation
- We spoke at the December 2016 ZF 2016 Annual Israel Seminar on the current situation on university campuses and legal steps that can be taken to protect students from anti-Israel hostility and intimidation
- We also spoke in December 2016 at the Friends of Israel conference organized by the Israeli Embassy for leading pro-Israel activists on how best to invoke the law to combat anti-Israel activity
- We organized a 5-day legal tour of Israel in 2015, in conjunction with the Zionist Federation of UK and Ireland, to improve understanding of the Israeli legal system and the challenges it faces, thereby strengthening the ability of participants to combat delegitimisation
- We organized a major conference with the Israeli Embassy on legal challenges and opportunities in Israeli policy and advocacy
- Jonathan Turner gave two talks at the 2017 Limmud conference in Birmingham on: "We have rights too - using the law to beat BDS in the UK and around the World."
Find out more
Legal resources for students
- We have produced a legal guide for Israel-supporting students at British universities on their rights, the obligations of universities, student unions, other students and university staff, and how to ensure that these rights and obligations are respected. This was launched as part of a joint guide for students with the Board of Deputies and the Union of Jewish Students in 2016. This is available on the UKLFI Charitable Trust website.
- We have produced another Student Guide entitled "Know Your Rights" in conjunction with StandWithUs UK. This is available here
Key here for our student guide
- We have produced an extensive legal resource section, covering topics including anti-semitism and anti-Zionism, BDS, Charities, the European Union, Human Rights, International Law and much more
- We also have a Useful Links section