UK Lawyers for Israel has published a new legal resource for councils or cities who are considering introducing anti-BDS legislation. We have listed all the anti-BDS legislation that has so far been passed by 25 States in the USA, and we have given a short description of that legislation and links to the laws.
The new guide is published on www.uklficharity.com resources section, which is HERE
It is interesting to see the different types of anti-BDS laws that have been passed in the different US states. For example:
- Alabama prohibits a public entity from contracting with organizations that are engaged in any discriminatory boycott;
- Indiana has a blacklist of organizations that engage in BDS activities, and requirea its public pension funds to divest from those blacklisted companies.
- Arkansas prohibits public entities from contracting with organizations that boycott Israel. It also requires Arkansas to create a blacklist of companies that boycott Israel, and require public entities to divest from them.
- Californa requires state contractors with contracts worth $100,000 or more to certify, under penalty of perjury, that they are in compliance with pre-existing California anti-discrimination laws and that they do not have discriminatory policies.
- Louisiana prohibits the state from contracting with any company that participates in a boycott of Israel “or Israeli-controlled territories.”
- Maryland prohibits executive agencies from entering into procurement contracts with companies unless they certify in writing that they are not engaged in a boycott of Israel.
- South Carolina requires public colleges and universities in the state to use the State Department definition of anti-Semitism when “reviewing, investigating, or deciding whether there has been a violation of university policy prohibiting discriminatory practices on the basis of religion.
- Nevada requires the state to develop a blacklist of for-profit entities that boycott Israel, and it will prohibit the state from contracting with or investing in for-profit entities that boycott Israel.
To find out more, please go to our new Anti-BDS Legislation Resources section HERE